A good night's sleep is essential to anyone, so the right pillow is one of the key ingredients. Just imagine a perfect combo: right mattress, the best pillow, and you - like a match made in heaven, right?
The right pillow will be the best for your needs and help keep your body aligned throughout the night. There are quite a few pillows to choose from, so you need to make sure to learn about them before making the right choice.
So, you found the perfect pillow, but one more crucial part is that it needs to be 'dressed.' Pillowcases are the way to do it. The casings for the pillows not only prevent from getting dirt on your pillow but also gives it a more suiting feeling. Just like pillows, pillowcases can be made in different materials.
- Percale pillowcases - it is extra-fine and silky long-staple cotton that grows in Egypt. It has a crisp, smooth, and refreshingly cooling feeling to it.
- Sateen pillowcases - it is made from long-staple cotton and features satin weave. Pillowcases like this have a subtle sheen, are smooth and durable.
- Cotton pillowcases - these pillowcases are lightweight, create an ultra-cozy, buttery-soft finish.
- Linen pillowcases - natural flax fibers, durable and long-lasting. It is one of the best materials for pillowcases out of all.
While choosing a pillowcase, you need to be attentive to the pros and cons of the specific material because it will touch your face the whole night. This article will tell you about the pros of linen pillowcases and why this is the best option for you and your family.
How to measure for pillowcase?
We know that throw pillows or decorative pillows can come in different sizes. The same thing applies to sleeping pillows. In general, pillows complete the look and feel of your bed. It helps to enhance your sleep, provides a balance of comfort and support for your head and neck.
Sleeping pillows mostly come in 4 different sizes to suit different needs. So, they are categorized under standard, queen, king, and euro sham. Of course, there are a lot of sub-categories that you can find, but these four are the most valued:
- Standard pillow - 20” x 24” (50 cm x 60 cm). The perfect size pillow for sleepers that do not change position too often. A standard pillow is a perfect fit for a twin bed. You can place a queen pillow in the back and two standard pillows if you want a fuller effect.
- Queen pillow - 20” x 28” (50 cm x 70 cm). There can be small variations on the queen-sized pillows, but this is a standard. This type of pillow will be perfect for a twin bed or two of those pillows that can fit perfectly on the queen-size bed.
- King pillow - 20” x 35” (50 cm x 90 cm). These types of pillows are longer, and they will be a good fit for 'active' sleepers, the ones who tend to toss a lot during the night. You can match king pillows with queen or standard pillows; it will give a fuller effect.
- Euro Sham - 26” x 26” (65 cm x 65 cm). This type of pillow serves as excellent back support for reading or watching TV while in bed. These poofy pillows have a high quality of comfort.
So, any of these pillows should be put in a pillowcase. Pillowcases prevent the oil or dead skin cells from coming in contact with the pillow itself. Many people do not know what size pillowcases they should choose for their pillows. Most manufacturers recommend that you purchase a slightly smaller pillowcase if you want the pillow to look more full inside the pillowcase. Still, some manufacturers say that the same size pillowcase as the pillows works just fine. To give you an idea how a smaller pillowcase should look like, here is the example: if your pillow is 20" x 24" (50 cm x 60 cm), this is a standard pillow, the pillowcase should be 2" (5 cm) smaller - 18" x 22" (45 cm x 55 cm).
Linen pillowcases - the benefits for your health and skin
The flax plant has been cultivated globally and has been used to make fiber for over 6 000 years. So, flaxseed fabric, known as linen, is a very common textile that people love. Since it is an all-natural textile, it is considered a luxury textile because of its unique structure. That is why more and more people tend to choose linen pillowcases for their pillows because they feel luxurious, is more suitable for them, their lifestyle, or home. Linen can be used during all seasons; the reason behind it is that it can help to control the temperature - keep you cool in summer and warm in winter.
Suppose we compare the linen fabric with cotton fabric, typical for pillowcases - linen is heavier than cotton. Also, linen texture can seem crisper, though through time and use, like washing the fabric, linen becomes softer and supple to the touch.
There are many great benefits for linen pillowcases; for example, linen fibers are thicker than cotton fibers, so a lower thread count is necessary to guarantee high quality and longevity. Also, linen is a very absorbent fabric, which means that it can absorb up to 20% of its weight in moisture. Linen pillowcases are a popular choice because of these benefits:
Eco-friendly - linen material is all-natural and made out of flaxseed. This is the reason why linen is the most environmentally friendly fabric. The most endearing thing about linen pillowcases is their longevity; they can last a long time. If by any chance, you throw linen pillowcases away, the material is biodegradable.
Durability - linen pillowcases are one of the most durable pillowcases you can find on the market, and with proper care, they can last for years.
Hypoallergenic - linen pillowcases are recommended by healthcare professionals because of being naturally hypoallergenic. It is beneficial if you have acne-prone skin or susceptible face skin because it will not create any discomfort for you, and you will have an excellent night's sleep. Read more about linen benefits for a problematic skin in our blog.
Breathable - one more notable thing about linen pillowcases is that linen is a breathable fabric. This ability helps to cool down your body and keep you relaxed in the best way possible. The incredible thing is that the materials are absorbable, staying cooler longer due to their superb wicking qualities.
5 ways to arrange linen pillows on your bed
Every item in your bedroom is a reflection of your personality. Significant sleeping elements can last you for years, but what about the linen pillows? It is a perfect sleeping piece, and it can be changed very often, which allows you to be more aware of your sleeping habits.
There is no right or wrong thing to have many sleeping pillows because it depends on personal preference. First of all, pillows can be defined as standard, queen, king, or anything that supports your neck and head comfortably and helps to reduce pressure points, and works to keep your body. So, one central question that everyone wants to know is how you should arrange the sleeping linen pillows?
There are a lot of ways to do that. We can quickly think of 5 ways to do this. Of course, while arranging sleeping linen pillows, you can add a few more elements, like linen cushions - it will give a fuller effect. Here are five ways to put linen pillows on your bed:
- Stack your linen pillows neatly on top of one another. This is the simplest way of arranging them, works with a minimal look, is neat, and does not require much time.
- Put linen pillows against the headboard, and in front, put two cushions or other pillows. This is similar to the first one, except for the concept here that the linen pillows are propped up.
- Prop your pillows against the headboard, then layer with two cushion pillows. Finish this arrangement with one center linen cushion piece; it will look like a triangle if you look from the front.
- Prop your pillows against the headboard and use one of the cushion pillows in the center. It will give you more of a sophisticated look, but it will create a luxurious feeling with a unique linen texture.
- Suppose you want more than 2 or 3 linen pillows on the bed. In that case, you can always try this: the first layer of linen pillows are propped up against the headboard, then the second layer is against the first ones, on the third layer, you can quickly put two smaller linen cushions, and in the final layer you can add a rectangular pillow, it will finish the look.
Even though these are just a few examples of arranging your sleeping linen pillows with decorative cushion help, this might give an idea of what look you want to create in your bedroom because the bedroom is such a personal space. Everyone has a specific taste in everything they put there.
How to take care of your linen pillow covers?
There is a common misconception that linen pillow covers need special care or professional care. We say it is not valid; caring for linen, in general, is easier than it looks, and like this, you will have a linen piece that will last you for years to come. So, here is how to care for your linen pillow covers:
Washing your linen pillow covers
We mentioned this earlier, but linen becomes softer and more absorbent after every wash. Wash your linen pillow covers in lukewarm, about 104 ℉ (40 ℃), and preferably soft water. We recommend using a gentle machine cycle and mild detergent to protect the fibers.
Drying your linen pillow covers
People often ask if they can use a dryer for linen fabric. The answer is yes, but stick to low temperature and remove linen when 90-95% dry from the dryer. But if you have the opportunity to air dry linen pillow covers, it would be better if you do that.
Ironing linen pillow covers
You can do this step, but this is not necessary to iron the linen pillow covers. But if you want, you can make sure your linen pillow covers are slightly damp. Use a medium-hot iron on the steam setting.
Taking care of white linen pillows
White linen pillows are unique because of their color. Also, you can easily see the dirt or oil on the white linen pillow. Of course, you can care like regular color linen; but there can be some nuances that you need to consider. For example, since linen is an all-natural material, please do not use harsh chemicals like chlorine-based bleach; it can damage your linen for good. Instead, use diluted bleach or natural combinations like lemon, soda, and white vinegar paste. It will clean the white linen perfectly. If you want to keep your white linen white longer, you can put your pillow in direct sunlight. It will help to brighten the linen. Also, if you want to iron a white linen pillow, remember to do that on both sides - inside and outside, while darker linen does not require such a step.
Storing your linen pillow covers
It is best to store your linen pillow covers or any linen in a cool, dry place. Try to avoid plastic bags, cardboard boxes, and cedar chests. Linen has insect-repellant properties, so you do not have to worry about any moths or other nibbly creatures.
Loving linen is easy, and we hope you can see why we love it so much - it looks good, is easy to take care and is, after all, good for your health. If you need more tips on caring for other linen bedding, check this blog.
Well, how to choose the perfect linen pillowcases for you? There is no correct formula for this. All you have to do is to see which one you feel most comfortable and relaxed.
Are linen pillowcases comfortable?
Linen is known for its durability and high quality. Not only are linen pillowcases gorgeous and eco-friendly, but they are super comfortable. People love them because it is durable and easy to care fabric.
Are linen pillowcases good for your skin?
Linen pillowcases are beneficial for your skin. Linen has a hypoallergenic ability that does not irritate skin and helps you have a peaceful night's sleep.